As much as ants are a pain in the ass you gotta respect them for their highly advanced social system and their drive to get the job done. In Canada we have ants, period. If you have seen one, you have seen them all. Here however it is a completely different story. Ants come in all shapes and sizes. Some are innocuous and some are nasty biters. The most common pest ant in the house however is the sugar ant. Set 3 of these guys nose to tail and you will have about 1/4 inch worth of ant.
Yesterday I noticed a trial of these little guys marching up the wall from the outdoor cooking area and disappearing into the ceiling through a crack at the top. I took a picture of them today and there were very few of them left. The line is about as thick as a pencil line.
I have some ant poison which attracts them and they take it back to the nest to feed the babies. You will very quickly get rid of the whole colony this way. I put a drop i a piece of cardboard and within minutes they were gathered around just slurping it up. My fingernail demonstrates how big the drop was. Within 16 hours they had eaten 3 drops x3 as I had placed 3 bait stations.
Here they are 16 hours later still gobbling it up even though now only about 1/10th of them are left. Poor little guys. I should feel guilty but sadly, I don't.
4 comments:
Not quite true that Canada has only one type of ant...we get sugar ants in Victoria as well as HUGE carpenter type ants. Eat your heart out Chestermere!
What did you feed the ants? We get a lot of these ants too and could use your remedy. Where did you buy it? Thanks
Hi Kris: It was called Terro Ant Killer and I got it at Novey. The instructions said to put out bait stations for 2 weeks. I am still getting a few after a week so rebaited today. I suspect some of the young ones have hatched that were not fed the poison. The active ingredient is Borax. I also got some borax tablets that have totally eradicated the cochroaches...yay! I'll update this post when I have no more ants coming at that location....Rose
Thank you! There is a Novey just down the street so I'll give this a try.
Post a Comment