Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Making Ditches

This is the ditch making crew taking a lunch break. My crew takes 1/2 hour, but these guys have no Americano supervising so they take a full hour. All that aside, making proper ditches here is very important because usually when it rains, it rains!
This is the picture of the ditch that runs past my place. We are on the final run of the water out of the property and so 90% of the runoff goes past our house. What you see here are the final 2 sections of ditch. The first part they did in the morning and the part covered with the white plastic was done in the afternoon. Aparently they were not expecting heavy rains and felt the white plastic would be sufficient to keep the moisture off.
Well, they were wrong. What you see here is the remnants of the ditch with the white plastic showing up in bits from under the rubble of the washed out cement and the grey cement showing up in the piece of ditch beyond. I could hardly believe my eyes the next day when I went there and saw that the ditch was gone, the whole section with the exception of these little bits. Me thinks that it is was not really bright to save the ditch cementing for the rainy season.

This will be my last post for a month or so as I am now back in Calgary and will be leaving for the US in 2 weeks. Check in early August as, although I will still be here I should have some fresh pictures to post by then. Hasta la vista.....Rose

1 comment:

Laura Jean said...

Hope they have that ditch problem solved in a month's time. Kinda of important to having a functioning ditch for rainy season. Safe travels back to Calgary and have fun in your vacation to the US in a couple of weeks. I have my getaway in August - a week in Thunder Bay to visit my parents. Helping my mom with her "downsizing of the house" - we are starting with her clothes - has like 7 closets full of them. Take care Love Laura Jean