Today I finally met up with my lawyer to pay my annual Corporation fees which were due Feb 2nd. The plan was that he would take me over to the Government office where you do the paperwork and then pay the money. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it?
We met at his office at 11:00 and promptly went over to the government office. He told me on the way that he would 'introduce' me to the ladies over there. When we arrived there were several ladies inside, one of whom promptly left and one to whom he introduced me. She apparently was there to help me through the process. She asked for a copy of my passport. I had it. She asked for a copy of Harry's passport. I didn't have it. Next she wanted a copy of a power or water bill as proof of my residency. He explained that I didn't have that but she agreed that if I could produce a receipt for my rent that would suffice. The last thing she would require was a copy of the documents of incorporation. This meant I had to come back so after negotiating that her services would cost me $10 we left. I asked him why he didn't tell me I needed these documents before I came so that I could be prepared and he explained that the rules change every time he goes and these were new to him. "Welcome to Panama" he said.
I assembled the required documents and headed back. It was now 2:00. Maria was waiting for me, briefcase in lap, in her 'office' on the flowerbed at the front of the building. Panamian public government buildings are always very well used and very poorly maintained. This one was no exception. We sat outside in the heat, her perched on one grungy flowerbed and me on another. She examined my documents and declared the rent receipt insufficient evidence that I lived here. She needed the water or power bill. Did I have a drivers license? no. Finally she declared that I would need to go to the landlady, get a water bill and bring it along with a copy of her social security card and then she could do my paperwork.
I called the lawyer to get him to explain that I would not return until tomorrow and would she still be there? He indicated that he could handle this and after a 30 second conversation suddenly it was all OK. She had me sign for Harry in 3 places, disappeared inside for 10 minutes and then reappeared with the documents that I required. At last I was done. Not so fast you say? Now I have to go to the bank to pay, that should be easy enough.
The bank was only a short walk away and I found it with ease. So what was the problem? Well the National Bank is the only bank where the average working Panamanian can get an account and yesterday was payday. There were 2 lineups of at least 50 people each. After waiting in one for another 15 minutes I decided that I'd had all the fun I could stand for one day and that there was always tomorrow. At 3:15, some 4+ hours after starting the process I left - I hope there are enough hours in the day to finish my mission tomorrow and then I won't have to do it again for another whole year!
When I got home I decided to relax by phoning the cable company to see if I can get my email working properly. I could receive email but not send it. After 45 minutes at 15 cents a minute, I had email going out but now could not receive it. I informed the gentleman that they were going to have to send a technician out to rectify the problem. He asked me when I would be home and I told him Friday afternoon. The words were no sooner out of my mouth when the call got dropped. A-g-g-g-g-h!!! Welcome to Panama.....
2 comments:
Welcome to Panama!!! Howdy Rose, just checked you blog and looks like you are having a great day. I think you should have offered to buy her lunch.
"Your," not "You." I do know how to spell.
Post a Comment