Tuesday, April 1, 2008

New Truck Party




If the Panamanians know one thing for sure it is how and when to party. Being a novice I have much to learn. My friends Aroldo and Dagmar informed me on Friday that I had to have a 'new truck party'. This meant it was necessary to take the truck and my friends to the beach for the day. I was happy to oblige and we set the day for Monday as that was their day off. I was to pick them up at 8:00. I decided that we should take food and so I made some sandwiches and put together a lunch. As a result I was 25 min late getting there. Aroldo needed 10 more minutes and Dagmar had just crawled out of bed as I arrived. They thought we were going to the local beach which has riptides. Dagmar was dragging her feet about going until she found out we were infact headed to Las Lahas which is an excellent swimming beach (1 1/2 hours up the road). She had never been to Lahas (in 24 years) and, with much jumping and squealing, was ready to leave in about 5 minutes.

They cranked up the radio and sang and yammered Spanish back and forth all the way there. I asked them enroute if they had brought food? no, water? no. Talk about going off half cocked. Luckily I had both so we were set. As you can see the beach was not very crowded and the kids had fun. Lucky for them that they found me!! They wanted a suntan so both came back sunburned and are paying for their excesses today. I did eventually bully them into sunscreen but they spent so much time in the water that I think it all washed off. I spent the second go round of playing in the water under an umbrella picking seashells. Luckily Dagar has a noni tree in her back yard so I instructed them on how to use it. Dagmar is supposed to move in with me on Thursday, but she is so 'in love' that I am not sure how much time she will have for her English lessons. Thank God I am no longer young and foolish. There is much to be said for old age.....Rose

No comments: