Sunday we decided to take a drive up to Volcan to do some exploring. We had heard that there were lakes up there somewhere so set out to find them. Our quest lead us to a paved road that ended at the airstrip. From there a quick inquiry to a man on horseback lead us to this road. You needed a 4 wheel drive to go any further. We drove a ways and then parked the truck and continued on foot. Finally we came to the gates of a small unmanned National Park.
This was the first of 2 lakes. Apparently the locals are afraid of these lakes as they tell me that they have no bottom. One local young man that I spoke with says that he swims in the lake but only near the shore as the lakes have no bottom and he is afraid. Apparently a diver from the US spent 3 days in the lake and couldn't find the bottom. I suppose that they are created in a deep crevice and so are very deep, how deep I don't know, but I am quite sure that there is a bottom somewhere.
At the second lake we came across some local Indian kids jumping into the lake with a rope. It looked like so much fun that the next thing I knew Spencer was stripped down to his gauche and climbing up the tree to join them for a couple of jumps.
As you can see he was very happy and refreshed.
Then the biggest, strongest kid climbed the tree to jump from the very top limb. Not only did he jump from the limb but he walked way out to the end of the branch. That took a lot of guts as based on his size in the picture I estimate that it was about a 35+ foot drop!
Here he goes!!! Yah-h-h-h-h-h
No comments:
Post a Comment