I have had a heck of a time here trying to get some cabinets built. We contracted a local guy to do some work for us because we liked his work. He told me that we needed to buy the wood (last year in June) so that it could dry. I gave him $2000. In November when I got back I had him over when I got back to measure up the MBR closet. At that point I gave him another $2000 to buy more wood as I wanted most of the furniture built before I left in April. I gave him a deposit to start the work and sent him off. When Harry got here in December we went over there and he hadn´t started a thing. At that point he had 3 jobs one as simple as the shelves in the Pantry. We asked to see the wood and he had a wood shed full to bursting. We were satisfied. He told us that he had to just finish the job for the American (the man whose work he had done that I inspected) and then in January he would only have our work to do. In the meantime his car was broken and could we advance him another $1000. We told him no but we could give him $500 which duh-h-h-h we did. I returned in mid Feb and he still hadn´t touched a thing. He assured me that he would have the cabinet that was being refinished to us by Sat. I went over on Monday and there it sat, untouched. I was pissed and read him the riot act. Then he did finish that cabinet.
Now the problem with all of this is that I was too generous with him and had given him too much money and now if he did do the work the money was spent and he was going to get very little. Lesson learned. I then got the name of another carpenter in David who actually wanted to work. I decided to feel him out and gave him the job of the furniture in the MBR. I took him over to get some wood out of our incredibly shrinking wood pile. The first guy (Oscar) was not too upset (or didn´t appear to be) that there was now in interloper in his work.
Pedro (the new guy) brought our furniture within 10 days. I was not happy and let him know. He took it away and came back in 5 days with the new product that suits me just fine. So fine in fact that I thought the sake of continuity he should do the vanity as well. Back we went for more wood. This time Oscar was visibly upset...lesson learned....I hope. That could only mean that Pedro was getting more work and this did not bode well for Oscar. Well, lo and behold he called last week and our closet is ready. He is coming to install it tomorrow.
In the meantime I am posting pictures of the bathroom as it is. The cabinet looks very shallow but it actually sits in a V shape on the wall and you can see by the picture of the open door that it is indeed deeper than 4 inches. The part on the left is a medicine cabinet with 2 shelves below for baskets that I brought from Canada. There is more tiling to do as there is a molding to go on the top and the marble should be installed in another week or so. Soon this room will be finished, hopefully before I leave and it should be very nice. Look for pictures of the closet next.....luego
2 comments:
Looks great and I love the tiles. I've got Mike making some coffee tables for me but luckily he works for free.
Glad to see pics of the interior finishing. The cabinets look beautiful and I love the tiling. Hope he finishes your closet before you leave.
Post a Comment