Monday, July 5, 2010

I Really Can Speak Some Spanish!

This is my friend Francia and her son Anthony.  She is a Columbian lady that I met in David. She is a lovely girl and as you can tell she is very fond of me.  She has been doing the CO2 treatments that I have been getting twice a week for the last 3 months that I was here, and again now that I am back.  They are supposed to make my hair grow and I think it is working.  She is also an esthetician and so the other day she did a facial on me and it was the BEST facial I have ever had.  She worked 1 1/2 hours and charged $30.  I love Panama!

This weekend I invited her over to stay the night on Saturday.  She was thrilled as she is staying with her son in a little room in someone else's house and I think she has little privacy.  Her husband is still in Columbia and she works long hours so I think that she gets lonely.  The kicker is that she speaks NO english.  She is wanting to learn but as it stands it was Spanish or nothing.  Well, I found out that I must be absorbing something because we talked non stop all weekend.  She is very patient with me and is careful to speak slowly and clearly.  If I don't understand something she will search out words until I do.  We only had to refer to the dictionary twice in the whole weekend.  I was pleased to think that I could actually carry on a conversation for more than 2 minutes at a time WOW! I amaze me.

Anthony was taking so long to take the picture that we were getting tired of holding our smiles so I was helping her.  
In the end we set the camera up on the table and did a time exposure to get all 3 of us in the picture.  I then took her over to my friend Aroldo's place to meet him and make some arrangements to get some English lessons.  Hopefully when I get back she will have enough grounding that I can help her practice her new language.

No comments: