Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Whoa, Did it Rain!!!

This is the rainy season in Panama and although I have been here in the rainy season before this year seems to be the mother of all rainy seasons.  Being so sweet I am actually afraid I am going to melt.  Typically, from my experience anyhow, it will rain for a couple of hours and then clear off and not start again until the same time the next day or perhaps even skip a day.  Well the last 2 days it has rained for hours and then all night before it cleared off.  Today it started again at about 2 o'clock and it POURED.  You know the kind of gully washers that might force you to pull over under the overpass for 10 minutes until it passes.  Well, that continued for better than hour. During that time I got curious about how the water was faring at the bottom of the street where Abagail rebuilt the ditch.  Whoever designed the drainage off of this place ought to be taken out and shot.  90% of the water drains down one ditch which runs past out house.  When it hits the bottom it makes a 90 degree turn and then carried on to another 90 degree turn which takes it under the road.  I loaded up the camera and my umbrella and off we went down the street.  I tried to upload a video I took but to no avail so you will have to satisfy your self with the pictures but as you can see it was very interesting. 

First picture above: This picture is of the first bit of water as it gathers in front of the house (ditch in white primer). This is coming out of about a 3 foot diameter culvert and as you can see it is FULL.

Back yard drainage entering ditch.
Coursing down to the bottom where it is crashing into the end where it does a 90% turn to go under the road.
Spilling out and shooting up about 5 feet and then flooding the road as it is unable to get away. I will continue to try to upload the video so check back in the next day or two to see if I am successful.  I must say that throughout all of this I was still in a short sleeved shirt and sandals, which is counter intuitive for me because my brain tells me that it should be cold.

2 comments:

Barry and Lana said...

And you don't like Victoria because it rains in the winter?????

Rose & Harry said...

Yeah hard to believe eh!