Never assume that someone who doesn't speak your language doesn't understand. Yesterday one of my 'boys' was in dire straights. He couldn't go to school because he didn't have shoes. Yes he has shoes but not the kind that you need (black and sturdy) to go to school. He showed up at school on Monday and they made him rake the grounds because he didn't have the correct footware. I am not sure what difference it makes but I guess they are trying to maintain some sort of standards. All the children wear the same uniform.
Anyhow they prevailed upon me to buy him shoes. Not wanting to give handouts because of the problem of where do you draw the line I said I would buy the shoes if he were to work for me for 2 days by painting the ditches which you have been seeing in white and also the small wall in the front yard. A fair trade off I believe and something doable for a 14 year old.
So into town we went to buy the shoes. When we chose the pair I went to pay with Mastercard. Oops, they don't take Mastercard and for some reason the pin number on that card doesn't work here at the bank anymore. I had changed purses and only taken the one card and I didn't have enough cash to complete the deal. This necessitated going back home for the debit card for my local bank. I explained to the clerk that I needed another card and so would be back. When we got into the car, Jeffry (the kid who needed the shoes) said something to Hormelis under his breath. Hormelis didn't hear and so he repeated it (again under his breath). This time I heard it and what he said was "quantos tarjetas sont?" or "how many cards are there?" like he suspected that I had a whole purse full of them. I nonchalantly, like I was part of the conversation, answered, "only one, oh I have more cards but they are cards like my driver license or my ID card but only one more credit card." They were silent all the way home. Next time I am sure they will not consider me to be totally unaware of what is going on.
No comments:
Post a Comment