Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fish Statue

A few years ago in 2008 when Harry and I went to Bocas del Toro to go sailing with Gail and Jim, we spotted this carved piece of wood in a little import shop. At the time we had just started to build the house and had a.) no extra money and b.) no place to put it. We were however in awe of the workmanship and hoped some day to acquire something similar. In the meantime, a couple of years ago I emailed the lady again and she still had it. Recently I went back to Bocas with my friends Donna and Ron and checked to see if it was still there. When we first saw it she had it up high on top of a piece of furniture. It was gone...crud. So I snooped around the shop and what'da'ya'know there it was hidden under necklaces and purses in an obscure corner! This time Harry got a late birthday present.

It was made in Bali and is carved out of a single piece of wood with the exception of the side fins. In the picture below you can see the light wood which is the heart wood and I think the piece is deliberately designed to reflect the different colors on both sides. Some fish being light the others dark.

Just a few closeups to show the details. You know how I appreciate handicrafts. It is exquisite and for sure if we ever sell this place this piece will be in a container bound for Canada. We are together 'till death do us part'.

4 comments:

Laura Jean said...

Beautiful - wonderful showpiece for your hallway - very complimentary. Have a good weekend.

Mike and Maureen said...

It is gorgeous! I can't believe it was still there - it must have been meant to be with you (excuse me, I meant Harry since it was his birthday present ha, ha)

Barry and Lana said...

Wow, it really is a beautiful piece. You'll enjoy that!

Meg said...

Are you getting one for all of us. It must have taken the carver a long time to do it.