Saturday, February 2, 2013

Weird Thing

Sometimes we just see weird things around here.  Yesterday I stuck my head into a bush to see if there was a birds nest in there as at times when I water at night a bird flies out of the bush.  To my great surprise I discovered this guy.  The thing was moving and I didn't know what it was, if it was some weird insect with it's legs folded up or what the heck it was.  We got a flashlight to illuminate it and discovered that it was a caterpillar making a cocoon out of sticks.  He was eating through the branch and as we watched he cut through and was left hanging by a string.  Darkness was approaching and we left him hanging by a thread.  To our great surprise (and disappointment) in the morning he was gone.  He had eaten the stick right down to the branch and was no where to be found, neither on the tree nor the ground.  I guess we were just blessed for the privilege of seeing him in the first place.
Nothing left but the stump...so-o-o-o weird..


1 comment:

kiwi7 said...

Hello Rose and Harry

Ken Mayer here. Dad found your blog and wanted to sent you his email address:

jam7oko@gmail.com

Drop him a line when you have a moment- cheers!

Looks like paradise. :-)