For several years at times in the mornings and evenings we have heard the strangest bird call. The locals have told us this is the Cocalaca. We began to think we were never going to lay eyeballs on one, they just became a mystery bird. I caught Harry and Donna creeping across the lawn hiding behind the hedge one day when I bolted out of the house. My actions silenced the birds and I was in deep do-do.
Then one day by chance I made contact with a lady in David who had more knowledge than I did about the birds. Kris told me that they are called a Grey-necked Wood-Rail. I looked them up online and found this most interesting video of a pair actually vocalizing and this is exactly what they sound like. If you watch the video you will see why we were so mystified. You will have to cut and paste it into your browser.
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/grey-necked-wood-rail-aramides-cajanea/bird-singing-another-one-doing-same-background
Then one day lo and behold I looked out the garage window in time to see one stomping around in the back yard. by the time I got my camera he was gone. I have seen it twice since but both times did not have my camera at the ready. About 2 weeks later Abigail noticed a pair in the lot across the road and I was able to get these pictures. They are a very shy bird and will disappear at the slightest provocation.. I am happy though to have finally solved the mystery.
1 comment:
That video is totally cool! I've never seen them in action. I remember I heard them the first night I was here though and couldn't imagine what was making those strange sounds.
Good job with the photos. They are so shy they are really hard to catch with a camera.
Post a Comment