Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Porfiroi's Birthday Party

This is my little friend Porfirio, he loves me.  He is Hormelis the gardener's son.  Feb 22 was his 9th birthday so I have known him since he was 2 years old.  I have worked with him a lot teaching him his alphabet when I learned that by the end of grade 1 he still didn't know it.  Now I am helping him learn to read by buying books and instructing his sister Sol to work with him.

He planned to have his birthday bash on March 1st but apparently when he found out I couldn't be there because I would be in Costa Rica, he moved the date to March 7th.  Needless to say it was a date I couldn't miss.

He runs out and gives me big hug every time I see him. 
So the party was set up at the side of the house but the music system is in front.  Note the huge speakers.  The sound from these speakers can be heard miles away.  There is a built in microphone for announcements.  I find it strange that Hormelis doesn't have the roughly $200 to send his daughter to school this year (she is 14) but these systems cost in the $1000 range! 
We sat with this family and the lady in pink spoke very good english.  There were probably 40 people there but the kids had a blast with the pinada and Donna got them doing the limbo under a broomstick.  There were cheezies for hors d'ouvers, a nice meal and dessert.  It really was quite a lot of fun.

No comments: