Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bird Watching in Cerro Punta



Just days before Harry left to go home we took a run up to see the Quetzals.  We did see some but they did not preform for us like the group that Donna and I saw last year.  There was however a group of birdwatchers there from Panama City.  They had 2 guides and after having seen the Quetzals they went on up the hill.  We asked if we could join them for a bit and they were most willing to accommodate us.  I was amazed at their bird spotting abilities and I did manage to catch a few pictures of some birds I had never seen before.  They had a big green dot that they could shine on the bird so that the blind people like me could spot them. Honestly I wouldn't have seen a thing had they not been there.

 This adorable little guy below is a Collared Redstart.  He is a very busy, most adorable little bird.

I love his little spindly legs in this picture.
Below is a Slaty Flowerpiercer.  If you notice he has a small hook at the end of his beak which he uses to pierce the base of the flowers of shrubs and to extract the nectar through the hole with a brush-like tongue.
This guy is a little hard to see but he is a Flame Throated Warbler.  I tried and tried to get a picture of him but he was so busy that he wouldn't sit still.  I was surprised to see that I got as good a picture as I did.


No comments: