Well, we survived our first Christmas in Panama. I have to admit, I had trouble convincing myself it was actually Christmas what without so much as a bauble hanging about the house. Palm trees and heat do not in my mind Christmas make. The Panamanians do have their traditions though. For the month leading up to Christmas and New Years they have innumerable fireworks stands set up. Then in the following evenings there are fire crackers going off at random. However everyone is saving the best for last and on Christmas Eve at midnight they set off the mother lode of fireworks and then open their gifts.
I didn’t have too much Christmas shopping to do but did want to buy gifts for the watchman and his family. He has four children ages 3, 7, 13 and 15. The 13 year old is my walking buddy who comes with me in the morning when I go for walks alone. Anyhow, I bought gifts for the children as well as him and his wife (6 in total). I didn’t know the names of the 2 girls so at about 8:00 when my little friend Hormelus came cruising over to the house on his bike I called him over and told him that I needed help. I needed to know the names of the girls and the mother. He dutifully helped me label the gifts and then I loaded them into a large bag and informed him that he was going to be Santa Claus. He was beside himself with excitement and hustled out my front door calling Ho, Ho, Ho, Feliz Navidad, Ho, Ho, Ho, Feliz Navidad…his shouts echoing down the street until he reached the barb wire fence between the development and his house. There he encountered problems and called ayuda me, ayuda me (help me, help me). Someone must have rescued him as soon I couldn’t hear him anymore. Within the next 10 minutes I heard fireworks from his end of the world. Well, about half an hour later he shows up at my door all excited thanking me for the baseball uniform. I pointed out that it was not midnight and his dad told me that he was so excited that they had to set the fireworks off and open the gifts. It was so cute; it made my Christmas very special.
The following day we went over to a friend’s house and had a potluck dinner. It was very different and at the same time very nice.
2 comments:
Sounds like a special time and I'm sure the Christmas presents were well appreciated. Perhaps we sometimes get stuck in our own traditions and it is good to see others. Wishing you and Butch "Joyeux Noel" from Mike and myself.
My whole family loves this story. You have a good heart - never let it get broken!
Post a Comment