Monday, March 9, 2015

Trip to Mt Arenal- Costa Rica

One day we hired a private bus to take us to Mt. Arenal.   Mt. Arenal is an active volcano which last erupted in 2013.  We left early in the AM and arrived back just after dark at about 7:00 so it was quite a long but beautiful drive and reminded me a lot of Panama.

 Mt Arenal is in the rain forest zone so apparently we were luck to have such a beautiful clear day
On the way down from the viewpoint we saw coati mundies and also a family of wild pigs called pecaries.
We had a day pass at a resort which included thermal pools, cool pools a butterfly garden and alligators. The setting was fabulous.  Here is Wayne being a goof in one of the jacuzzie loungers in the hot pool.
Check out the lovely setting with the volcano in the background.
There were several waterslides some of which were very wild.  I was too chicken to try them but others were not so smart.  This photo was the highlight photo of the day. Here is Emily who just celebrated her 60th birthday coming off of the water slide.  I snapped this with my cell phone camera and caught her mid drop, shoes in her right hand.  I have cropped a closeup for you to see better.  Turns out it was not quite so fun for everyone as Sharon hurt her arm which had been broken 6 months earlier and Joe hurt his formerly injured rib.  I am glad that I am a chicken.

On the trip home we did a big loop around Lake Arenal which exists because of a dam.  It is very large and was visible for quite some time as we drove around it.


No comments: