Saturday, October 24, 2009

Directions in Panama

I just have to show you this picture because I think it is so funny. The one thing we have found out about Panama, and I am sure the same holds true for most other Central American countries is that there really are no street addresses. If you want mail it comes via a PO box. If you need to find some place with which you are not familiar then you had better know your landmarks. In this case I was pretty new to David and the kids at the hotel were trying to show me where something or other was. They drew this very extensive map complete with restaurants and gas stations. As I recall I never did find the place, at least not with this map, but honestly there are no numbers on the buildings and probably 85% of the street signs have been mowed over and not replaced or simply stolen and sold for scrap metal.

It is always a dilemma as I fill in the forms for entry into the country and they provide a place for forseen address...gosh, what do you put in there. I have made one up for my new house based on my lot number and the name of the development and its proximity to the town of Sortova. It seems to keep immigration happy.

2 comments:

Barry and Lana said...

Perhaps you need to make little maps to give to immigration, friends and relatives, tradesmen, maids, pool boys, etc.

Mike and Maureen said...

I guess a GPS is not of much use there!