Tuesday, December 7, 2010

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

Well, he came out to finish putting in the kitchen and 5 hours later when he left there was less kitchen than when he came. He started by putting the remade cabinet above the fridge but when he got it in I realized that it was at least an inch too shallow to accomodate a cookie sheet and was not deep enough for me to reach from over top of the fridge. I would have needed a ladder to even open the door, never mind put something in or remove it. He then had to take it out and is going to add 4 inches to the back of it to make it useable. It looked lovely as you can see but was not functional.
Then I pointed out that the doors on the uppers were very red compared with the lowers, particularily at night under the lights. This problem is a result of them building it a few pieces at a time. They swear that they use the exact same stain but the reality is that the stain that they use is a concoction and I am sure that they eyeball the measurements because when push comes to shove they can make it all the same color. He therefore had to take the doors home along with a door that he is trying to match and strip them and make them the same color. Poor guy, I really did feel sorry for him but hey, I don't want to build a lovely house and have is spoiled by the cabinets being wierd. Maybe next week. The good news is that he needs some money so he has incentive to finish pronto.

No comments: