Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Dead Policeman on the Road

I knew that headline would grab your attention. So far I have not been impressed with the common type of lawngrass that everybody seems to plant here. I think that the grass works well but it is very course and reminds me of quackgrass except shorter. It has a very broad course leaf that is dark like quack grass. Being a prairie girl my mind has an adversion to quack grass. There is another variety that is called Japanese grass that is very fine but grows into a dense mat that feels like a sponge when you walk on it and the small snakes like to burrow under the mat so that does not appeal to me either. So today I went to turfmaster to see about buying sod for the front and side of the house. The lady explained the various types of sod that they had and one of them sounded interesting to me. There was a house in the vicinity that they had used in their brochure so I asked if I could go over to that house and have a look at the grass in person, rather than having to make the 40 minute drive to the sod farm. She proceeded to give me directions which went something like this. "If you drive past the Rey store there is a 3 storey yellow building, but before you get to the building there is a dead policeman on the road. The turn is to the right between that building and the dead policeman. As she is explaining she is drawing a picture and she draws a bar across the road. Being familiar with the area, I knew exactly what she was talking about, she was drawing the speed bump in the road. I burst out laughing when I realized exactly what the 'dead policeman' was. So from now on no more speed bumps for me only dead policemen....what a hoot!

No comments: