Sunday, December 12, 2010
Pineapple Anyone?
How exciting is this, our first baby pineapple. They planted these in the park about a year and a half ago. Then last year the 'gardeners' in a fit of efficency sprayed them and I thought that they were dead. Well, wouldn't you know, they recovered and this year when I came back this baby had grown and was ready to eat. The meat was white and very sweet and contained little black seeds that looked like flax seed. Apparently this is a local native variety although I have never seen a white pineapple before.
Then at the same time this one was growing and putting a pineapple up in the center. It is now getting quite big and hopefully will be ready to eat before Harry leaves to go home in Jan. This one now has 10 baby pineapples growing around the edge of it so in total will produce 10 pineapples I am told. Strange I thought that they each only produced one. Oops, my mistake, now I understand that it may produce one more but then all of the babies can be planted and they will produce a pineapple more quickly than if you plant the top after you eat the pineapple.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
VERY cool.
Post a Comment