Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dia Del Madre

The watchman and his familly, plus one primo (cousin) Jeffery on the far left. Jeffery is the boy who needed the shoes. All of my mothers day gifts unopened.
Dec 8th, Harry's birthday and a national holiday here. Not on account of Harry but rather it is Mother's Day or Dia Del Madre. Everything except maybe some of the big stores are closed and nobody works. They give gifts to anybody who was ever a mother I think, it is not exclusive to you being the mother like in Canada.
Anyhow they (the children of my ex-watchman now gardener for the development) came, as I knew they would at 7:00 AM. I don't get up at 7:00 AM for anybody but Luis the gardener. I could hear them (the children) calling me from the front of the house but I ignored them hoping they would go away. After about 10 min they went to the back which set off the alarm. I just let it ring knowing that it would turn off in 2 minutes. Then they went back to the front and called until about 7:30 when they finally gave up. I snuggled in and went back to sleep until 8:45. Abigail came at 9:00 and wanted to do some work in the bathroom. I let him in and within about 10 min the whole fam-damly rolled in all pidukered up, in the (new to them) old and beat up Lada seen in the background. I am trying to picture how they all managed to fit into it. They piled out and trouped to the door bearing copious gifts. They all hugged and kissed me and wished me Happy Mother's Day.
It was all very sweet but now I have many cups which I didn't need and a few assorted items that I will display for an appropriate amount of time plus a card that plays music. The little roundish thing though is special because it is a box that Jeffry made out of Bamboo and covered in kind of a plastic foam. Probably a school project I suspect but he did a really nice job and you know how I appreciate crafts.

1 comment:

Barry and Lana said...

They are so sweet! I don't think it's cuz you're "a mother", I think it's cuz you're so special to them.