Monday, December 6, 2010

Uppers Going In at Last

Finally they came Saturday to put up some of the upper cabinets. Woodworkers of the world gasp, this guy built the upper of solid wood and in one piece, it took 5 men to bring it in...
and then 6 to lift it into place and secure it to the wall. He placed it way too high, I couldn't even reach the second shelf so I had him lower it and lower it until it hit the top of the column and he couldn't lower it any more. I would have liked it about 2 inches lower but now all of my short friends will have to have me reach the big shelves for them.

Then when I go to put the dishes I and realize that he has put only one shelf in the middle. This means that my dishes occupy the bottom part with about a foot above of useless space. Oh dear, I am not sure how he will do it but I want another half shelf somewhere inbetween so I can use at least part of that space.

So here is the half finished product. There will be another part above the fridge but he had to rebuild it as it no longer fit since the cabinet was lowered 4", besides that he made it 1/2" too wide. Note that he did also install the panel on the side of the lower by the sink. He was supposed to come back Monday, but he didn't say which Monday so I guess it wasn't this one. In his defense he did have his transmission blow up and was left with one forward gear. He did make 2 trips that way (and probably p'oed off everyone else on the road)

1 comment:

Mike and Maureen said...

Beautiful cabinets. I can't believe he only put in one shelf - obviously he only makes cabinets and does not do any work in the kitchen.