Sunday, December 19, 2010

Earth Movers

OK so here's the story. Jeffery, as seen in this picture, is the boy who needed the shoes so I hired him to paint my ditches. Well, now it seems that in order to graduate this year he needed $30 to buy his diploma (school finishes now until March). Not wanting to give handouts, I told him I could use him to move the dirt that had been dumped on the roadway, into my yard. It was a big job and was very bad dirt, full of rocks. Hormelis, not wanting to be left out wanted to know if he could work also, he needed money to buy presents for his family. Truth be known I could have a man do this work 4 times as fast for the same money but hey, they wanted to work so who was I to say no. I had agreed to pay Jeffery $1.25 per hour which is the going rate for a man and only paid Hormelis $1.00 which he thought wasn't fair. I told him that Jeffery needed the money for school so he was getting more and if he were to go to school and needed money then I would pay him the same (Hormelis dropped out of school after grade 3 and so doesn't know how to read or write.) On the second day they wanted some music. I have a nice little radio that accomodates an ipod (which was ripped off about 6 months ago) but I did not want it taken outside by grubby little hands. I agreed to put it in the window of the laundry room so that they could hear it. After spending about 5 minutes trying to find them an agreeable station I gave up and put the remote in a zip lock baggie with a hole in it for the sensor. They were trying to operate it from the ground but it was not picking up the signal so I look out and here is Jeffery up on a 5 gallon pail operating the remote. Isn't he just too cute?

Everytime I looked out Jeffery was working and Hormelis was scratching his head or ass.....
or watching Jeffery work.
The only reason he has his shovel in hand here is because I got after him again. He is a lazy little begger, wants to get paid but doesn't want to break a sweat. His dad, the gardener, is a real hard worker. Me thinks that he better toughen up because it is the ones who have no education that get to do ALL the grunt work. They worked for 4/8 hour days so I think it was a good learning experience.

No comments: