There is a tree that grows here called a Llama del Bosque or in English an African Tulip tree. It has the most beautiful large red flowers on it and I love it. I wanted one in the front yard but the yard is too small to accommodate the tree as it grows to be very large.
About 3 years ago my gardener Luis found one for me and planted it on the property line of the lot beside/behind us. The first year it struggled as the ants were eating it but Hormelis, our watchman at the time, put something on it which discouraged the ants so it flourished. Before I left I pruned it a bit and when I got back this year it has rewarded me with flowers!
From where I sit in the gazebo I took this closeup of the flower with my AMAZING new camera which I just love. They are as big as the palm of your hand and very showy. All of the brown thingies are new flowers which will open later. It blooms for a very long time, almost year round but the most prolific time is at the end of the rainy season when I arrive. What a treat!
No comments:
Post a Comment