Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Internet at Last



So I am a little bit late posting, my apologies. We got home on the 13th as promised and the cable/internet guy showed up as promised. One small problem. The fancy new high tech wireless mouse and keyboard that I imported from Canada were here but there for the life of me I couldn't find the little tiny reciever that plugs into the USB hub to make it work. Also I did not bring the cord to connect the moniter to the computer as I was planning to buy a monitor here. The plan has changed and I got a TV/moniter which came without a cable. The short story is that there was no way to make the computer work and so they could not hook it up that day. It took until today to get it all in order and now $50 later (plus $30 for expidited hookup) we have cable and internet and a functioning computer. FINALLY!

So how was the sailing trip - GREAT. More great weather and beautiful things to see. Lots of snorkeling and a trip to the beach. The trip to the beach was the most interesting and warrants a bit of storytelling -later.

How is the house coming? you ask. Well, it is true, you have to be here to get anything done. After much emailing back and forth the architect was finally able to get our files from Canada to open. When we first went to meet with him it appeared he had not even looked at the blueprints we sent him, at great expense I might add, 6 weeks earlier. He was shocked to find that the house was designed down to the last plugin and I am hoping to renegotiate the $4000 he wanted to translate the drawings into Spanish and design the footings. Tomorrow we are meeting him out at the site to resurvey and mark the corners of the building. The site has been cleared and we do have title, but we do not yet have any building permits. The hole for the septic is dug and we have a well with water, so we are making some progress however slowly.

We are now established in the house and it is fully equipped. I even broke down and bought a vaccum cleaner as I can't keep up with the dirt that gets tracked in just by sweeping. Seems I just end up spreading it around. We bought a new truck which we take delivery of in a few weeks to a month. I had to wait to get the color I wanted, but will be glad to be rid of the rental car as it is rather gutless. Five more days and Harry will be gone and I will be left on my own, YIKES! I think I can do it now that everything is sorted out. It be about a month before we have any permits in place, but in the meantime they will start bending the steel for the foundations and columns. Hopefully they will be out of the ground by the time I leave.

Lots of stories to post later but I have to get to bed. It is late and I have to be out at the site by 8:00...Later.....Rose

No comments: