In case you wonder what I do to occupy myself here when I am alone I have to tell you that I am very busy going back and forth between the house and suppliers etc. I must give the door making guy a visit this morning and I need to get over to the bus depot to buy my little Spanish teacher a bus ticket so that he can get back from Santiago. It is $7.80 and he doesn’t have the money. He is going to live with me for the next 6 weeks and I am going to make a concerted effort to learn some verbs.
I was able to duke it out with my landlady yesterday. I refused to pay all of the rent until she fixed my tap which has been leaking since I moved in here. Lately it got so bad that the water was running out of the connection between the tap and the faucet and I had to use the shut off inorder to use the tap. We told her about it a month ago and she sent a plumber over to fix it. The fix lasted about 1 hour and then it started leaking way worse to the point that we couldn't use it at all. She was choked that the plumber had charged her $5 and it wasn't fixed. Then she told me that she was going to get a new tap. Well a month has gone by and no tap so this morning I got tough with her. She tried to tell me that it was in my contract that I was responsible for fixing anything that went wrong. I told her in no uncertain terms that it was an old house and the tap was old and that it was her problem not mine. I told her that I would pay the balance of the rent when she fixed the tap. She acquiesced and four hours later when I got home there was a new tap here!! What do you know!!! Ergo I must be learning something as she speaks NO English.
No comments:
Post a Comment