Thursday, December 1, 2011

Death of a Pifa Tree

This development was originally a pifa plantation, pifas being the type of palm that produces palm oil so prevalent in our processed foods. The trees are old for this type of palm, that being more than 20 years, and so at times they just die. One of the four in a group of trees near the house was damaged when they nailed into it during construction and subsequently died. About 2 years ago it lost it's palm fronds but I chose not to take it down as it had holes in it which were home for birds and animals. The other day however I noticed that it had a huge hollowed out section at the bottom and only about 1/2 of the outer shell of the trunk was left. I determined that it was a potential liability and asked the gardener to take it down. He tied a rope on to it and shoved it as high as he dared with a long bamboo pole (the tree was very shaky). I stepped back to take a video of it falling and before I could turn the camera on there it was on the ground.

The tree splatted and as it turns out it was completely hollow from top to bottom. It looks like 2 halves of a tree here.
This is all that was left of it...kinda blew me away.

No comments: