
A while ago I did a post about a Fiery-Billed Aracari, a smaller member of the Toucan family. We had spotted him in a tree in the park. Well, he got married and they had a family. Turned out they had just one child who decided to fly the coop before he was ready. Having such a big bill makes them rather ungainly flyers and this guy didn't have a clue. He/she crashed and burned. Ormelius my night watchman who was doing cleanup in the park found him and returned him to the tree only to have him crash and burn again. He then decided that the youngster couldn't spend the night on the ground and live to see the morning so he constructed a cage with a stick for a perch and will keep him for a month or two until he is strong enough to fly, at which time he will release him. There was a piece of mango in the cage that he had been eating at. He is a good size baby as you can see by the boys hand. He also has some adult markings. I didn't have my glasses on when I took the picture and I had a lot of back light so twice I cropped his head but you get the picture (I hope).
No comments:
Post a Comment