Didn't I just have the most interesting day today. Two policemen showed up at my new house this morning all spiffed in their uniforms with their boots so shiney I could have put my makeup on with them. They introduced themselves and then spoke with my interpreter. The spokesman began by indicating that in order to address a rising crime rate they have started a new program which involves stepped up patrols. To that end it seems, near as I can figure out, that this new program involves doing more rounds but with a donated car. The car they said was in need of repairs and in order to do that they needed to solicitate donations from the locals whom they were sworn to protect.
Of course who do you suppose is the local with the most money and the most to loose. My first question was, how much were the repairs going to cost. They said $500 and that they had already raised $250. I asked how I would know that the money was going to this just cause and if I were to make a donation could they produce a receipt. They said that they couldn't give me a receipt but that they could give me a certificate of appreciation with a stamp on it from the local Police Chief. I calculated the odds and decided that even if I were donating money to Jose's fiesta, it would be in my best interests to curry their favors.
I am not sure if this is the way that all constabularies operate here but our friend Jack told a similar story about 3 years ago when he had just moved into a new area. He too made a donation. I only had $90 on me so I gave them $80, $40 for myself and $40 for my friend who is building next door. It is quite a relief knowing that I will be able to sleep well in the future secure in the knowledge that my local friends are looking out for me. If I ever get the certificate I will copy it for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment