Monday, June 15, 2009

Getting Some Tiling Started Upstairs


*Note the cool finished ceiling - at last!
The tiler came today to tile upstairs in the guest room, YES!! It needs to get finished so that I can move my things up there when I leave. I am most happy to get it finally done. I think that I will have accomplished my goal of being out of my house by the time I leave.
I knew that the floor would be raised up 2 inches but I didn't know how they would accomplish that. Now I know. There is a line drawn around every room in the house, I assume about 36 inches off of the floor but measured down from the ceiling. The man dumps buckets of sand with some concrete mixed into it onto the floor. Then he measures down and smoothes the sand off at that height. Then when it is about right he pours water on the sand and trowels it smooth and places the tile. Using a level and a mallet he pounds the tile level. He has strings strung level in both directions which ensures that the tiles are all the same height as he progresses around the room. I believe that it makes for a very solid floor that lasts forever (well, at least as long as I am going to be here).
Then there is the business of the grout. Sounds simple, go to the store and buy grout, bring it back to the house. I am quickly learning some more Spanish 'no hay' pronounced 'no eye' which means we don't have any. 2 stores and I pick out the color I want and guess what - no hay, no hay, no hay - man, am I getting sick of that word!! Like I have nothing better to do than run from store to store looking for grout. Oh for a Home Depot...sigh...

2 comments:

Laura Jean said...

The house is really coming along. I do love the accents in the ceiling too - gives it dimension. The tiling gives the room that finished look - you must be excited to get it all started too. So when do you head back to Calgary? Have a good week Rosalie.

Rose & Harry said...

Thanks Laura,I'll be back at the end of June...Rose