The nut of a pifa is used comercially to produce palm oil, however the Panamanians love to eat the cooked nuts with their coffee. I have never tasted one but am told that it is an aquired taste. They boil the ripened pifas for 1 1/2 hours to cook them. Pifas are nasty trees, covered in sharp spines, nature has designed them to protect the fruit. The only creatures able to reach them are birds and insects. Enter the ingenious Panamanians. This creation cost probably nothing. In Canada we would have used (at great expense) a cherry picker. I am sure they have been doing this for thousands of years. It was an amazing thing to watch, I am always learning something new and cool here....Luego
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Climbing a Pifa Tree
The nut of a pifa is used comercially to produce palm oil, however the Panamanians love to eat the cooked nuts with their coffee. I have never tasted one but am told that it is an aquired taste. They boil the ripened pifas for 1 1/2 hours to cook them. Pifas are nasty trees, covered in sharp spines, nature has designed them to protect the fruit. The only creatures able to reach them are birds and insects. Enter the ingenious Panamanians. This creation cost probably nothing. In Canada we would have used (at great expense) a cherry picker. I am sure they have been doing this for thousands of years. It was an amazing thing to watch, I am always learning something new and cool here....Luego
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment