Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yes! We Have Water NOT!

This is how you get the water from the well at the top of the lot to the cement mixer at the bottom without a pump. Dip from the well at the top and pour it into the pipe.....

it comes out at the bottom.....


and then you dip it out of that barrel to fill the second barrel...


then you pour it into the cement mixer...


and voila! you have concrete. Not quite like foundation construction at home, more like if you were a do-it-yourselfer pouring a patio. Oh well, at least they weren't packing it in 5 gallon pails like they did down at the beach when Ivan built his house - they couldn't push the wheel barrow through the sand.

Today is a memorable day. They have poured the first of the concrete footings for the house. It was way cool to go out and see concrete in the holes instead of water. There was one technical difficulty and that is that there was no water.

IDAAN turned on the water yesterday (oh yes the $35 ended up being $24). I figure if I had come back today that maybe it would have been free. Well, it seems that, although the water was flowing when I paid the 24 bucks, the pump has now gone down. They are apparently fixing it but in the meantime my crew had to do without running water. Being the resourceful people that they are they set up a system to get the water from the well to the cement mixer without packing it in buckets. If they do not get the system up and running by the end of the day tomorrow I will get the men a generator for Friday so that they can pump the water. Thank goodness I am only paying these guys $1.10/hour.

No comments: